Skip to main content

What Conversation?

I want to talk to people about issues that matter, without starting an argument. Members of the generations who have been here longer than I have say that society has lost the ability to have discourse where there is disagreement. I agree with this assessment. Through this conversation I want to work through the issues, or around them if they are too emotionally charged.
The purpose of this blog is to open to discussion the issues that I am going to tackle through optimistic satire in my upcoming book The Study. I have chosen to ignore most of the topics that seem to polarize American society the most. However, there are some issues I feel are so important that they need to be addressed, and I will brave the storm with the hope of starting the conversation.
Through this conversation, I hope to find agreement among different groups with the purpose of implementing solutions to the ills that need not plague an industrialized, modern society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The What If Series Introduction

The What If… Series               What if we focused on how to truly solve problems, instead of putting band-aids on bullet wounds? What if we restarted discourse so that we focused on how to help each other, instead of complaining about how we are not as happy as we could be? What if we spent more time talking about the good we can do, instead of the evils done by others? These and other fundamental questions will drive my new What If… series of blog posts.               The inspiration for the series comes from my experience as a classroom teacher. I am a fan of discourse and questions in the classroom, and encourage them from my students. Often, I will hear a “What if” question from my students, usually presented as a source of distraction. My answer to this is often, “Your guess is as good as mine. Think about it and let me know what you come up...

What If We Addressed Problems Holistically

What If… We treated problems holistically instead of individually?               One of the things I realized early on in my adult education was the relationship between seemingly disparate ideas. My bachelor’s degree focused on the relationship between biological equilibrium, environmental factors, and the mental reaction of individuals. From the beginning, I knew that it was folly to think that any of these categories could be studied in a vacuum. It did not take long for me to realize that it was not only in my own specialty that this was true, but in many other aspects of life. Yet, the compartmentalized view of the world is how the general populace perceives its environment, and social problems in particular.               As an educator, I found myself unable to teach only the subject with which I was tasked. I found the need for students t...